Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Rap it up

Musically, I am one self-proclaimed EXTREMELY eclectic, awesome gal.

You might pick up my iPod and see anything from Billie Holliday or Perry Como, Louie Prima, etc to Pantera, 6 Feet Under, Morbid Angel, then down to a little Morris Day and the Time... oh wow, the range goes on.

While I love a good heavy groove when I am feeling angry, the same can go for Rap/Hip-Hop. No, I'm not feeling angry right now, maybe I should have said the word "Aggressive" instead.

Though I am so eclectic, and enjoy limitless artists and music, I tend to enjoy R&B and Hip-Hop more many days.

Now some of you oldies may remember a little thing they used to call "Mix Tapes", which were sometimes feebly thrown together tracks, some from the radio (with the DJ's annoying voice on the edges), and some pulled from other cassettes. Picking your favorite songs and filling up an entire tape (front and back) was a beloved activity, one I always felt I was 'putting my heart into'.

Sometimes, these mixes were just for me, sometimes they were for a targeted crush, some unsuspecting member of the male species who had momentarily earned my undying affection. This 'undying affection' usually lived for a few short weeks, on rare occasion, months until the next fish hooked my eye.

So my heart would be poured into each carefully selected song and blended as well as technology would allow, then either become part of my car's inventory, or decorated and presented to the poor, unfortunate victim du jour.

These days, I still have a huge fetish for creating mixes, though they are usually blended into an iPod playlist, or possibly still burned to a CD. Ever since I have gotten sprung on the iPod capability in my car, however, I can usually be found somewhere on a scenic Mississippi backroad, quite possibly during a romantically crimson sunset, with one of my 927 "different as night and day" tunes on shuffle and bumping it way past 11.

This applies to me and the rest of my crazy Clique too… Not particularly a Kanye fan, but I dig this groove.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what's on your mind...