Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Inspiration Point

Remembering back to all classes where I had to use my creativity, aside from maybe English Composition, it seemed like I would begin with an awesomely inspired idea, only to fizzle, lose my spark, and end up with great ideas, but unfinished projects.

The creativity is willing but the follow-through, weak.

In short, I would have a lot of good ideas, and just get lost and flounder along the way somewhere. Lose interest, find myself unable to concentrate on the task at hand, or just let it go on too long, and then become intimidated on going back and finishing the darn thing.

The same thing happens around the house, I get this wonderfully inspired lift of energy, and think of doing some major cleaning, or overhaul project that would make my life way easier, and then I either start, and wear myself out and don't return to the 'clean of the crime', or I just fizzle out and get interested in something else and don't get accomplished even CLOSE to what I had intended.

As far as being a "Quitter", no that's not me, as a person. I can take the punches and keep on fighting, I consider myself a strong person, just one of the world's worst procrastinators, maybe. This is not something I really view as one of my finer attributes, however, I do think being a procrastinator has its good points.

I read an article the other day from Slade Roberson about lack of motivation & the "flow" of things, how it's something we should embrace, because everything has a rhythm, and a purpose and we should relax into that and trust it, remembering that we also have times when we seem to 'effortlessly roll'.

He states, "Next time you have a day (a week, a month) where you panic about your lack of motivation or productivity, remember that there are also times when you effortlessly roll. Divine timings have space between them just like bad timings. Instances are openings — breaks — within infinite streams. 
Sometimes what you call “procrastination” is powerful intuition.

It’s okay to wait for the perfect time."

When I read the above passages from Mr. Roberson's inspirational article, I seemed to revel in it a bit too much, taking great pride in the fact that I was actually doing something all along that was of benefit to me rather than a hindrance, as society would have me believe. No, it is NOT a good thing, being a procrastinator… they insist that the 'Early bird catches the worm' and all...

Yes, I would say there's a limit, of course so that we don't take the advice above too far and just run with it, delaying when we need to make haste. Definitely we should try to take advantage of our bursts of energy and pep, because those are the signs, that's what they're meant for, to "push" us.

Still, I think there is a lot to be said for it… the sitting back and rolling with the flow. We know by our inner clocks and intuition when the time is right, and I think instinctually, we will 'strike while the iron is hot', so that's one more good reason not to stress ourselves out about things. We can only do so much in a day, so I believe accomplishing what we can and then laying down our worries at the end of said day is the best course of action, because things always seem to have a way of working out just fine!

The things that we have missed by doing so, are usually blessings in disguise.

Besides, the early bird may get the worm, but don't you realize it's always the LATER MOUSE that gets the cheese? =)


4 comments:

  1. oh, I am so familiar with having great ideas and not much follow through. Hi, my mane is Reb and I am a procrastinator. A failed Virgo, although if I had the room, everything would have a place and be in it...most of the time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm often inspired to take a good seat, grab a beer, and watch this fucking train wreck of mankind. Background music optional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often repeatedly given myself a very hard time about my lack of motivation etc.

    But then if I stand back and think that it is someone else telling me about their life then I realise it is not bad at all really. If I was someone else telling me what I've been doing I'd be thinking "Jeez this guy does so much compared to me" I know I would. It is ok to have "time off", "take stock", "recharge" etc. in fact it is important to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get this. I'm queen of this. So many fantastically special and sporadic ideas in my head... and no follow through on getting them out.
    But I do love cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what's on your mind...